This is one of the best basketball drills out there! When watching basketball, you will notice that the best scorers use skills and techniques similar to what you will be learning in this drill. A good offensive player understands that you need to create space between the defender and yourself.
Creating the space
To effectively create space between you and your defender, you need to get the defender to move aggressively in one direction which will create space then make your move. The object of this drill is to learn how to fake your defender out in regards to which direction they believe you will be going in, then once they move the wrong way, you make your move. Practising this drill will make you a much stronger offensive player.
To perform this correctly you will want to be extremely aggressive on the court. Being aggressive will help you build the space you need when you fake out the defender. With a lot of power move in a direction and get your defender’s velocity going after you. As the defender moves to follow your direction, quickly step backwards to create a gap. Now that you have some space, take a few more steps around to create additional space to take an accurate low stress jump shot.
Steps to this drill
Using this technique is much easier than trying to take a shot while being covered and well defended at the rim. It is important to remember not to take short steps backwards, you want to create a lot of distance between you and the defender.
- You and a team mate should begin at half court.
- You are on offence and your team mate is the defender.
- Let your team mate check the ball in to you and from there aggressively head towards the rim.
- Attempt to fake out your defender and create space at least two to three times before taking your shot.
- If you make your shot, begin the drill again with you as on the offence and your team mate as the defender.
- If the defender is able to stop you from making your shot or steal the ball from you, switch roles and begin the drill again.
- Perform this for at least 10 minutes a day and you will greatly improve both your offence and defensive skills.
For a great visual of these basketball drills in action check out the video below: